Thursday, July 28, 2011

A time to rest

I got a lot done today. Unfortunately, almost none of it was what I set out to do at the beginning of the day. Phones ganged up on me. Emails ambushed me. My agenda was hijacked.

It's tempting, tonight, to hive off to the office at home and get some work done - some of that work I wanted to get done today. After all, I'm heavily involved in leading a national youth event next week. Et cetera. Okay, so tonight's supposed to be a night of deliberate friendship, yeah, but if you knew the pressure I'm under...

No. Wrong. I must not bow to the subtle workaholism that drives. Spending time with people tonight is life. I won't put life on hold.

Not many people get to the end of their life, look back, and say 'I wish I'd spent more time at the office.'

So. Tonight's time for rest. Time for friendship. Time for play. Time for worship, perhaps, or for sharing of hearts. But I'm staying away from the office.

I may even switch my phone off.

Now that would be radical.

4 comments:

Dave said...

Good Man.. Switch it off, a positive move to living a non agenda driven life !!

Seb Ross said...

i your blog is not the same without a mop in the background

n0rma1 said...

Icebreaker - it was a wonderful evening ;-)

Seb - sorry about the mop. Unfortunately your mate Aidan pointed out it was actually a broom and I could never feel the same way about it after that...

sandra said...

maybe you could talk to my hubbie!!!!