Monday, June 18, 2012

Ten ‘other’ commandments

Photo by mzacha of sxc.hu
Some of us are inclined to try too hard. If you're like that, you may find these ten 'alternative' commandments (which a friend wrote for me a while back after a prolonged time of trying too hard that had left me pretty burnt out) helpful:
Thou shalt not be perfect, nor even try to be.
Thou shalt not try to be all things to all people.
Thou shalt leave undone things that ought to be done.
Thou shalt not spread thyself to thin.
Thou shalt learn to say ‘no’.
Thou shalt schedule time for thyself and thy supportive network.
Thou shalt switch off and do nothing regularly.
Thou shalt be boring, untidy, inelegant and unattractive at times.
Thou shalt not even feel guilty.
Especially thou shalt not be thine own worst enemy but be thy best friend.


3 comments:

Carole T said...

It's great not needing to be perfect. I recommend it. Funny though, Jesus said "Be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect". An impossibility if we try ourselves, but let God do all the hard work. See what he can make of you!

n0rma1 said...

I like Luke's version of that saying: 'Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful' (Lk.6:36). Helps me define 'perfection'...

s0upy said...

I walked around for most of the day with hair sticking up at the back. I think that counts somewhere on the scale. :-D