Monday, February 04, 2013

Chicken and egg

Chick chick chick chick chicken
Warning: the following factoid (and the moral derived from it) is doubtless simplistic, trite and naive. Nevertheless, it got me thinking and I thought I'd share.

There are apparently 18.45 billion chickens on planet Earth. That's slightly more than two per human being.

If every human being actually owned two or three chickens no-one would go hungry.

As it is approximately two thirds of the world are hungry. And last night, during the Superbowl, Americans ate 1.23 billion chicken wings. (Who counted? Well, I read it on Twitter so it must be true.)

Just what can we do to right the gross injustice of the world's food resources? We can't ignore this stuff as Christians.

I believe it was Mary the mother of Jesus who looked into what her Son would stand for and sang: "He has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent away empty."

When the kingdom comes, will I be sent away?

No comments: