Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Four poems on being and not being

To be or not to be

To say that God
does not exist
is to saw off the branch
you are sitting on;
cut down the tree,
burn the forest,
drown the island,
drink the sea,
douse the flame,
wipe clear the sky,
and never have read this poem.
It is to realise with a sudden
certain puzzlement
that you don’t exist either.

Alternatively
it is to be
a fool.

QED

I think therefore I am
I am therefore I think
He is because I think
He thinks therefore I am

He is I am therefore
I am because he thinks
Because He is I am
Therefore I think He is.

Being

Being being
does not make Him
abstraction.
He is not
algebra
alone, not
a quality
but quality itself.
All things: He is;
all things derive
from Him.
There is no thing
that exists
apart from Him.

Turning
does not make me
merely less.
I am not
subtraction,
apart, but
unbeing
inverted upon myself.
Nothing I am
and still I am
from Him.
I cannot think
no thoughts
and this is sin.

Falling, falling,
I will not reach
ground zero.
I cannot fall
beyond
number, not
endlessness,
bottomless infinity.
In hell: He is.
Though I cease
to be
there is no place
to flee
from His presence.

Returning
then, remakes me
much, much more
than only
addition.
Approaching, not
in space
but in likeness.
All things: I am;
all things at home
in me.
For I only truly
live
when found in Him.

Reflection

Funny.
Looking at You is like
looking into a mirror
and realising
that I am the reflection.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like 'Q.E.D'

decided said...

"reflection" is a bit mind-bending, but oh so true